Are you looking for a healthy dip that is both flavorful and packed with nutrients? You have come to the right place! Serve this homemade hummus with pita chips, veggies, or apples, or use it as a sandwich spread on our pita bread recipe!
How to Make Hummus
Hummus is a simple recipe to prepare. The first step is to boil and soften the chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans). You can also used canned (rinsed and drained) chickpeas if you are in a hurry. Add all prepared ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and grind together until you reach your desired consistency. Top with your favorite toppings like olive oil, garlic, or red pepper, and serve!
This recipe uses Tahini, which is a middle eastern condiment, made from hulled sesame seeds. It provides the signature nutty flavor of hummus. You can usually find bottled tahini at the grocery store near the peanut butter, or other nut and seed butters. Many people wonder if this specialty ingredient can be skipped. The answer is yes, you can make hummus without Tahini, but we prefer the added nutty flavor in our recipe.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and can vary based on the products used as well as changes made to the recipe. If these numbers are very important to you, I would recommend calculating them yourself.
- Food Processor
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup tahini sesame paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅓ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- olive oil and paprika, optional for serving
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the chickpeas and baking soda. Cover the chickpeas and baking soda with several inches of water. Bring to a boil for 20-30 minutes. The chickpeas should be soft with the skins falling off. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor, along with the lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, cumin, ice water, and olive oil. Process for one minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and process for 1-2 more minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- If needed, add additional salt and lemon juice for flavor. Serve, garnished with more olive oil and paprika, if desired.