Guacamole is an avocado-based spread that is popular as a dip for tortilla chips and veggies, a spread for sandwiches and wraps, and added to tacos. Making your own homemade guacamole gives you control over what fresh ingredients you want to add.
Guacamole is one of those dips that makes you feel pretty good about eating it! With avocados as the main ingredient, you are not only getting lots of health benefits but a recipe that can be used for more than just dipping. This recipe adds some fresh vegetables like tomatoes and red onions to the mashed avocados to add a little crunch to each bite. This recipe includes a jalapeno pepper to give it a little kick, but you could certainly leave that out for more mild guacamole.
According to Healthline, avocados are definitely a food that is full of health benefits. They are rich in nutrients, great for gut health, may help prevent heart disease, and also help control weight, just to give a few benefits. In addition, they are versatile, meaning that you can incorporate them into lots of recipes!
How to Serve Guacamole
Yes, we all know guacamole is the perfect dip, but you can always use it in other ways, too! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Spread some on a piece of toast with an egg on top.
- Add it to your favorite burger, like this classic cheeseburger.
- Add a dollop of guacamole to a baked potato.
- Serve a side of guacamole with zucchini fritters.
- Don’t forget about making it a part of your favorite salad like this cobb salad.
- Enjoy it with tacos or these chicken tostadas.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and can vary based on the products used as well as changes made to the recipe. If these numbers are very important to you, I would recommend calculating them yourself.
- 4 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ½ medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- ½ medium lime, juiced (about 1 tablespoon juice)
- ¼ medium lemon, juiced (about 1 tablespoon juice)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Scoop avocado from the skin and place into a medium bowl; mash until smooth, leaving some chunks for texture if desired.
- Add diced tomato, red onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, and salt. Fold all ingredients together until combined.